Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cahersiveen

Today is 20 September and I am in Cahersiveen, Co. Kerry. It is raining. Pray for good weather tomorrow for me, as I really want to go to Skellig Michael. Too turbulent today.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It is really good to read the comments from everyone. My birthday was uneventful...except for the fact that I'm in Ireland!!!!!!

I can't believe I only have 5 days or so left of my trip...

I guess there is a hurricane nearby, and this dreadful weather is the tail end of it. So no Skellig Micheal for me. People say I can go when I come back, but I'm afraid I will never be back! I think, though, after this trip I am more likely to return to Ireland and, hopefully, travel elsewhere as well.

On Wednesday I went to the Barracks, where the Royal Irish Constabulary used to be stationed. Now it is a funky museum of local and national history. Funky, but I enjoyed it. Met a man who said he was the cousin of Michael Collins! It seems kind of extraordinary, but I believe him. Later that day I walked to a stone fort. Really cool. Well preserved, too. There was another fort nearby, and a ruined castle, but I had reached my saturation point and decided to head back on the long walk to my B&B. A woman stopped and asked if I wanted a lift--Hallelujah!

There was a lovely sunset and I relaxed in the sunroom of the B&B, with their cat on my lap. Later I ventured out to a pub and had a long conversation with two old codgers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear t'is so soggy on the olde Sod these past few days - funny, Ireland is not a place I thought to be in hurricane vicinity! Been wondering how the food was - interesting to hear you found some Thai - figured you may be feasting on a lot of seafood, given the proximity of the sea.

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing picture. Even people with poor color vision think it's cool.

Too bad the weather- I wonder how much heavier all the sheep get after a lot of rain. I don't know, maybe you can think of having too much rain as a cultural activity, like drinking Guinness, or going a pub and saying "What?" or not finding a snake. It's an integral characteristic associated with Ireland. You'd be disappointed if you went to, say, Tunesia and it wasn't excessively hot, or if the Himalayas weren't snowy and bumpy, or if the people in Warsaw were polite. People who've been to the island will read your "I got wet in Ireland" T-shirt, and nod to themselves and say "Oh, yeah." Anyway, sorry to hear about what it does to your plans, but it's more to do next time.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I can think of a descriptive term or two for Leonard, and I think most everyone else reading this blog can too.

Unduly Amplified said...

David the indescribable friend,

Yes, you're probably right--it is a cultural experience. You are a wizened traveller. And I didn't know that about Warsaw...

Sven Golly said...

I want to stay at the B&B with the Maxfield Parrish windows and be one of the old codgers.